Suvarnabhumi Airport

This afternoon I finally decided I should drive over to the new airport at Suvarnabhumi before it became too late. For the past month, they had been running daily tours of the new airport in preparation for its grand opening at the end of next month. I think the idea was to familiarize people with the new location which covers a much bigger area than the present international airport at Don Muang. Yesterday, I read in the newspaper that today would be the last day for the tours because of security concerns following the failed airplane attacks in the UK. So, I packed my camera and headed out towards Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Suvarnabhumi Airport
Suvarnabhumi Airport
Suvarnabhumi Airport
Suvarnabhumi Airport
Suvarnabhumi Airport
Suvarnabhumi Airport
Suvarnabhumi AirportOne of the most exciting prospects for us about the new international airport is that it is located in our backyard in Samut Prakan. The old international airport (funny how I am saying that even though it hasn’t closed down yet) is located north of Bangkok which is the opposite end to us. Now, we didn’t have to pass through the traffic in Bangkok. However, we would have to contend with local traffic. I was curious to see which airport we could reach quicker. The first part of my journey was from Paknam to the Bang-Na Trad Highway. The traffic was slow moving and it took us about 30 minutes to reach Central City Bang Na. However, the highway was much faster going. There has been signs on this road for a year or so now. This was the first time I would follow them. It was quite easy, though at one point an airport sign said turn left and another said go straight on!
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive